Five questions for ex-MTV VJ Kennedy

Five questions for ex-MTV VJ Kennedy
Five questions for ex-MTV VJ Kennedy
Ready for a dose of '90s nostalgia? Kennedy, a former MTV VJ, has written a memoir, The Kennedy Chronicles: The Golden Age of MTV Through Rose-Colored Glasses (Thomas Dunne), in which she lays out the scandalous, celeb-infused experiences of her past that will, for better or worse, be embedded in pop-culture history forever. The L.A. radio personality, 40, spoke with USA TODAY's Lindsay Deutsch about regrets, nostalgia and why she loves the '90s.

1. You were young, irreverent, and even voted most hated VJ. Do you have any regrets?

No. That's the time to do it. I was young. I was 20. I wasn't worried about my brand. I just wanted to make the most of the experience, and that's what I did.

2. What would you say is your proudest moment, and the one that still gives you a lump in your throat?

My proudest moment was also my most impulsive and least thought-out. That was licking the mike in front of the mayor of New York (Rudy Giuliani) in front of a live crowd at the VMAs (Video Music Awards) in 1994. The crowd had been booing, and I totally got everyone on my side.

3. Is it weird being out of the spotlight for so long and now seeing headlines like how you almost lost your virginity to Michael Jordan?

It's fun. It's seems so far away in the distant past. And people are telling me about their crazy experiences, too, so there's a lot of emotional corroboration. There are some crazy stories. It's not that I feel detached, but that it's pristine.

4. Why write a memoir now?

We're in a really nice pocket for '90s nostalgia. People who grew up then are at an age where they're looking back to the not-too-distant past. We all have to be reminded of how awesome the '90s were. They're the forgotten decade.

5. Who inspired you?

I love the Motley Crue memoir. I think Vince Neil is a great writer. I actually spoke with him before I started my book, and at the tail end, he gave me some wonderful advice. His style is very personal, but he's also a very clear thinker.